Tuesday 1 February 2011

why do they call it a phone?

One of the deals I made with husband was that if I dutifully followed him across the wide Atlantic sea, we would get me an iPhone (all things considered, I'm a cheap date). And lo, it came to pass. Now my problem is that I'm addicted, even perhaps besotted, with the device. It's so useful and so much fun. I play with it, rely on it to tell me what to do when, follow its maps, connect it to the internet, take photos, and lately I have been reading books on it using 'apps' like Kindle and Kobo. I love it. I rarely actually use it to talk to someone though. Can't we find another word beside 'phone' to describe this lovely object? It really should have been the final artifact in the BBC's 'History of the World in a Hundred Objects.' Solar-powered lamps? They can't hold a (ahem) candle to the iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment