Monday 14 February 2011

Hearts attack and other woes


Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Tonight, at 7:30 pm, the two younger children remembered that they had been given lists of everyone in their class-- in order to make cards to distribute. Now I remember; that's what I did every year at elementary school. Cue frantic rush to create computer-generated facsimiles of the Hallmark classics; 19 for one child, 27 for the other. The youngest is spending far more time on this than on her homework.

So much for hearts. Our lungs are not faring well either in these icy climes. Three weeks ago I developed a cold, which turned into a full-blown asthma attack. I'd never experienced one before and didn't recognize it. I did discover the utility of Telehealth Ontario, the local version of NHS Direct, but a lot more helpful. They actually suggested actions I could take other than going to the emergency room (or 'the emerg' as the nurse called it). I hung on till morning and went to see the doctor. I'm much better.

However a week later, middle child came down with a fever which lasted 8 days. Two visits to the same doctor found nothing in particular; the diagnosis remained 'persistant virus'. I decided to take action and apply some potions; chicken soup plus steam inhalations (sprinkled with essential oils; witch doctor stuff). He began coughing, violently; so violently in fact that his poor little stomach muscles got in on the act and expelled his dinner. Delightful. His temperature dropped but the coughing continued, so back to the doctor we went. Finally we agreed that a chest x-ray was in order; lo and behold, he has pneumonia! A course of antibiotics has done wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment