Wednesday 2 July 2014

The 4-1-1 on 3-1-1

Last week I had an encounter that necessitated calling 9-1-1, the North American version (prototype, if I am not mistaken) for the UK's 9-9-9 emergency service (see previous post).

This week, I used 3-1-1.

What a brilliant idea! I had heard of it, but never used the number. I was suspicious. But it is great. I thought that it was a totally Toronto innovation but now know better; it exists in a number of cities or communities across North America. The Great God Wikipedia says this:

"The telephone number 3-1-1 is a special telephone number supported in many communities in Canada and the United States which provides access to non-emergency municipal services. The number format follows the N11 code for a group of short, special-purpose local numbers.

The number 3-1-1 is intended in part to divert routine inquiries and non-urgent community concerns from the 9-1-1 number which is reserved for emergency service only. A promotional website for 3-1-1 in Akron described the distinction as follows: "Burning building? Call 9-1-1. Burning Question? Call 3-1-1."

My issue was definitely not a burning building. So I called 3-1-1 and asked to have some deadwood trimmed from a city-owned tree in front of our house. No problem! I asked whether the one-way signage on our street could be made clearer, as there are occasional cars who drive up it the wrong way. It's on the list! They'll investigate! I asked whether the laneway behind our house could have a 'no exit' sign posted at its mouth, to repel drivers who vainly attempt to use it as a shortcut and end up stuck at the bottom making 10-point turns to get back out again. Again, someone will come and check it out, and they'll all Let Me Know.

And lo! Service request numbers were issued to me for all of those items. And the woman on the other end of the phone was bright, friendly, knowledgeable and business-like. If I could vote, I'd have the 3-1-1 team for our mayor. Not old Rob Ford.

No comments:

Post a Comment