Friday 18 November 2011

@lectoronto


I'm now on Twitter. Thanks to Anne, my friend, guru and part-time personal shopper (Costco division), I've been initiated into what Sensei Anne calls the 'real-time' communication modality of tweeting. I mentioned my achievement to another friend, Jim, and asked him if he felt Twitter really was an improvement over email. Jim looked at me pityingly. 'Email is just so... 1990s,' he said, gently enough, but the point hit home hard. Ouch. That's me. So 1990s. If you too have moved on from last millennium, do look for me out there in Twitterland. Though perhaps I should change my name to @So_1990s.

I can laugh at myself over this, but overall I am feeling rather somber. The cue to my joining Twitter is sad. A local mom, Jenna Morrison, was killed last week in a cycling accident. Aged 38 years, she was 5 months pregnant, cycling to her son's kindergarten to collect him at lunchtime. She overbalanced near a truck and was crushed horribly under its rear wheels. I didn't know her, but her son attended a playgroup with children of friends of mine, a parents' cooperative playgroup, hence a fairly tightknit community. The whole city, especially the cycling population, has been shaken, and the parents in the playgroup just devastated. I joined Twitter so I could keep abreast of cycling groups and their reactions to Jenna's death. Should the truck have had underbody side-rails? Apparently they do in England (though I can't say I noticed, nor did I feel any safer around trucks there).

Catherine Porter, a columnist for the Toronto Star, herself a 38-year-old mom who cycles, wrote movingly of the memorial bike ride instigated by a cyclists' group (http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1086949--i-saw-nothing-but-bike-helmets-for-blocks?bn=1). Porter joined the thousand or more riders who accompanied a 'ghost bike', painted white, which was placed at the site of the accident. She described feeling committed to continuing to cycle, because of its benefits to health, the environment, and the sense of community. At the same time, she wants to live, and to survive to raise her children. I completely, completely empathize with this. I too want to keep on riding. I ride to work, I ride to the kids' school, I ride to the grocery store (I love the basket on the back). One of the great things about downtown Toronto is its cycleability. And I want my kids to have that joy too. But I'm also petrified for myself, for my husband (another cyclist), and for them. Why can't we each have a piece of the road, and peace on the road?

On a mildly humorous note, the way that Porter phrased her own heartfelt dilemma over this issue really highlighted for me, again, that sense of 'We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto' She wrote of her children, "I want to be there for everything:the first sleepover, the first canoe trip, the first love". Beg pardon? It's a canoe trip that comes between 'first sleepover' and 'first love' in Canada? H'm. Ah well. At least she didn't write 'first time wrestling a polar bear.'

RIP Jenna Morrison.

Be careful out there, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment