Friday 11 November 2011

You'll Always Know Your Neighbor

We recently flew to the west coast of the US. For one reason and another (let's call them cost and outrageous, because that's what they were), we decided to begin our journey in Buffalo, New York, rather than fly from Toronto's Lester Pearson Airport. Who wants to fly from an airport called Lester, anyway, eh?

Middle child and I drove across the border in the dead of night, like fugitives. When we got to the edge of Canada there were no other cars queuing to leave. I sailed right up to the agent's booth. 'Is America open?' I asked him, suspicious that we'd happened upon a national or international emergency. 'America is always open, ma'am,' he replied brusquely.

On we traveled, reaching in under two hours an uncharming but sufficient airport hotel that promised to give us a place to lay our weary heads for the night, look after our car, drive us to departures, and collect us upon our return, all for the sum of about a hundred bucks. Why don't we just live there, I wonder?

We flew west to San Francisco, my birthplace, and stayed in Berkeley, my true spiritual home, with beloved family. Two days later we headed north to Seattle, passing volcano after volcano, till we landed between Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker. The rest of the family joined us there for niece's bat mitzvah. All was swell; ceremony, celebration, and niece equally superb.

Three days later, we flew back to Buffalo. Blessed Buffalo! It begins to seem the center of all earthly delights. Home of the Albright-Knox Art Museum (the what?) and Frank Lloyd Wright houses (really?). We collected the car and made our way to Wegmans. Wegmans! Ah, supermarket of my heart's desire. Next door was Kohl's, where husband selected a sweater. Then, after acquiring a tank of All-American, inexpensive (well, it's relative) gas we drove home, arriving two hours later. Two hours. I live two hours from Buffalo, and I'm grateful for it! It was a city that once upon a time felt as remote as the moon and an equally unlikely place for me to visit. (Did Neil Armstrong ever hit a golf ball in Buffalo?) Before I moved to Toronto, all I associated with Buffalo was its spicy chicken wings dipped (oddly) in salad dressing, the Bills, cold, and the Erie Canal. It's true that I've always loved the song about the mule named Sal, who plied fifteen miles on the Erie Canal, where you always know your neighbor, you always know your pal, as well as every inch of the way from Albany to Buffalo. Still, I never expected to see the canal any more than I planned to meet the mule. How did it come to pass that it's now a source of true pleasure to know that in only two hours, with good luck and a following wind, I can be in Buffalo?

Low bridge, everybody down.

Of course there are those wings. Pass the dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment