Thursday 16 September 2010

rainy day blues


Still doldrums. Feeling sorry for myself. Months ago, when contemplating the transatlantic travails to come, today is exactly the way I pictured the future. And lo! It has come to pass. There is rain of biblical proportions, with thunder on the right, and gloom as far as the eye can see, which is not very far (especially compared to the lovely rain-soaked view of the South Downs I had in days of yore, from my office in Falmer...)

Husband is at the office, the children are at school. 'Er indoors, aka moi, has been unpacking and doing laundry all morning. It doesn't seem to have made a dent in the stacks of boxes, even though I'm now flattening the empties, as ordered by Conan the Barbarian, who works for the university housing service and comes round to perform various tasks. Last time he was here, Conan chided me for my poor housekeeping and for having too many children and visitors. I keep rehearsing retorts I should have uttered at the time, but of course did not. Suggestions welcome for the next time he invades the house (he has a key).

No one has called or texted. I even rang myself to check that the phones are working. I probably don't exist anymore.

1 comment:

  1. To Conan: "Too many children? It's a requirement in our religion that I have to satisfy my husband in bed. I have twenty more kids in Hove, but they wouldn't fit in the packing crates after we had packed up the kitchen and the sex toys."

    ReplyDelete