Tuesday 13 July 2010

What goes around comes around

Tonight, what came around was a piece of my past, a charming piece: a little girl I used to look after in Berkeley when she was small and I was young is now a college graduate and globetrotter who came to us for dinner. Annalise is absolutely wonderful, articulate, bright, beautiful and out to save the world, one drop of water at a time. I think she just might succeed, too. It's funny to reminisce about the past with someone who was a mere infant during that past; you get to have all the memories your own way.

At the same dinner during which I was renewing my relationship with Annalise, I was continuing on the path of abrogating friendships with our other guests. Okay, maybe 'abrogating' is too harsh. Saying farewell to wonderful Peter and Eva and their little sons, though, I feel guilty. By moving far away, we are abandoning so much and so many. With too little consideration? Inadequate foresight? I hope they will come around to see us in Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment