Saturday 6 November 2021

Give her a centimeter: turning Canadian

Eli and the flag, turning Canadian, May.
The Toronto crew and the judge, turning Canadian, October.



So, we are all Canadians. All five of us. Eldest child got there first, turning Canadian in May of this year, in Vancouver. The western Canada immigration office works more quickly than the eastern one, it seems.

But on Monday, the other four of us caught up. We received emails telling us we had been approved for citizenship and that we needed to turn up remotely, via Zoom, to attend our ceremony and take our oaths. I have now sworn fealty to Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada. There is no comma in the text version of the oath we received, but we are fairly sure that one belongs. Although, as middle child points out, it is correct with or without the punctuation. Elizabeth II is in fact the second queen of Canada, Victoria being the first. 

I jest; but I was moved. I even shed a few tears. We were encouraged to decorate our Zoom tiles with red and white Canadiana; I wore a red sweater (from local clothing maker Terra Cotta) and white camisole peeping out (très chic). Off-screen, I wore my Good American jeans. Son wore a smart red button-down shirt and daughter a white blouse. She also painted her nails red and white. I grabbed the tiny Canadian flag that lives in our kitchen pencil holder. We were completely outdone, however, by the occupants of many other Zoom tiles, who had tacked enormous flags to their walls. A little girl wore a red-and-white bow in her hair. This accoutrement sailed a bit close to the wind, as we had been informed that we could wear religious headgear, but not 'casual hats'. No specific mention of bows, however.

We recited the oath in unison, unmuted, right hands raised. "Number 25, is that your right hand?" The judge inquired. "Number 31, please move your hand away from your face." They checked to see that we repeated the words aloud and correctly. Husband maintains however that Number 31, an older gentleman, did not speak at all. Or perhaps it was 25. 

After saying the oath in English, repeating each phrase after the judge, we recited it in French. "I know it's an unfamiliar language to many of you, but let's give it a try," he said. I don't know about everyone else, but the judge did a fine job of pronouncing the words.

And then we sang the national anthem, O Canada. I know all the words (in English) from the many days of standing stock-still in the corridor of the elementary school, Huron Street, after arriving late with daughter and needing to get her a late slip from the office. But no one in the office would help us until the strains of the national anthem, cast over the PA system, had faded away. So I began to sing along. Daughter cringed. She was very happy when, in Grade 5, her father took over the task of walking her to school. He never learned the song. The two of them arrived on time.

I like the melody, and I even like most of the words. It's oddly constructed, though, this song; like The Star-Spangled Banner, it is exhortatory and in the second-person, addressing the nation itself. (Perhaps all anthems are thus?) A few phrases in particular grated: "True patriot love/ in all thy sons command." Sons? Sons? What about daughters? Or the un-gendered? Also, "O Canada, our home and native land." I hoped that someday I would be a citizen (someday sooner than this) but it would never be my native land, nor my children's or husband's. In fact that is true for about half the Canadians in Toronto. Also, 'native'. Really? The connotation makes me cringe. Surely there's a better adjective. And finally, there's the line "God keep our land/ glorious and free..." Again. God? Canada, unlike the UK, does not have a state religion--though it does publicly fund Catholic schools in the eastern provinces, which annoys me no end. I queried it once, all unknowing, at a school trustee's meeting and generated vitriolic responses. 

Fortunately, enough other people found the 'sons' line problematic, and the anthem was officially changed to "True patriot love/in all of us command." Still a little mushy for my test, but at least equal-opportunity mushiness. 

So now what remains to be altered are 'native' and 'God'. I shall argue for 'our home and treasured land'. It conjures chests of gold and X marks the spot, perhaps, but what's wrong with that? Finally, I wonder if we can get rid of God and replace it with 'We shall keep our land/ glorious and free'. I think 'we shall' has a nice declarative ring to it, far better than a whiny plea to a dubious deity.

Yes, give me an inch, or a centimeter, and I'll certainly go for the whole kilometer. I hesitated to speak up on this issue when I was not even a citizen of the country. Now I am. Next maybe I'll take on the state funding of Catholic schools. What could possibly go wrong?


Poutine!




1 comment: