Sunday 15 March 2020

TMI: coronavirus, CoViD19, and corporations

In this time of crisis, information is useful. Social media and other electronic communications can help. For instance, I recently learned the difference between coronavirus and CoViD19* on Twitter.

Also in the "welcome" category are updates on policies and plans from my employer, from my daughter's school, from my synagogue. These are organizations to which I or my family belong and I appreciate knowing what is going on with them (although, Cirque-ability, notice of cancellation arriving more than 3 minutes before the start of daughter's 'aerial and acro' class would have been appreciated). 

Other messages that drop into my inbox, however, are decidedly not useful, desirable, or even, really, polite. These include numerous "updates" on their handling of coronavirus concerns from any business with which I have ever had a transaction. Chiltern Railways, from whom I once bought a five-pound ticket from Paddington to Oxford--which I then didn't even use-- a year or two ago seems to be sending me twice-daily emails. Ditto the Gap, Hyatt Hotels, Thrifty Rental Cars, and the UofT Bookstore. To these corporate entities, let me say that I do wish your employees and customers well, but I can't help seeing these communiqués as over-sharing, over-the-top, unnecessary and -- the cynic in me suspects-- as opportunistic advertising disguised as concern. 

How would they like it if I decided to write to them with my own twice-daily updates? 

Dear Chiltern Railways, 

Please let me inform you that, due to the current situation with CoViD19, today I bought more hand cream because my skin is chapped from frequent washing. The dog and I had a lovely, socially-distanced walk in High Park yesterday.  My book group is considering postponing the next meeting or holding a discussion online. I hope you find this news helpful and reassuring. 

Yours truly, 

Mrs. Trellis**  

Who knows? Maybe they'll be so grateful they will thank me with a five quid ticket to replace the one I never used. 


*Coronavirus refers to a family of viruses; the specific microorganism that causes CoViD19, or "COrona VIrus Disease 2019" is one called SARS-CoV2.

**I'm sorry, I haven't a clue. 



No comments:

Post a Comment