Tuesday 25 September 2018

Today I'm Bill: confessions of a Trekkie

William Shatner was interviewed recently on the CBC's arts-and-entertainment radio show, Q, by host Tom Power. I don't listen to a lot of Canadian radio, preferring BBC or NPR (thank you internet), but while in the car, taking the dog for much-needed grooming, I happened to catch this segment. Mr. Shatner, I learned, was doing the rounds to promote his new memoir, but he gave every indication of actually enjoying himself in the CBC studio.  He filled the airwaves between us with a hail-fellow-well-met aura, making me smile to myself (or at the dog in the passenger seat). The man was the very definition of being in fine fettle.

Tom Power, the host, however, seemed to flounder in Shatner's company. I've checked, and learned that Mr. Power is both a musician and an experienced radio host, born and bred in St. John's, Newfoundland, one of my favourite Canadian cities (there are three on that list). But he was struggling. I could almost hear him panting to keep up with Shatner's good humour and to join in his camaraderie. Power praised his guest's down-to-earth friendliness.  "Before the show," he said to him, "When I asked you whether I should call you 'Mr. Shatner' or 'William', or 'Bill', you answered, 'Today I'm Bill. Call me Bill.' So, I'm calling you Bill." 


They laughed together at this shared reminiscence, but the guest laughed more, vainly chivvying his host toward greater merriment. It was uncomfortable. I stayed tuned because a) I'm a Trekkie (vintage: original series; wanna make something of it?:) and b) I've always felt a fondness for William Shatner. I've often been told that he resembles my father, and I understand that like my dad, Today-I'm-Bill has three daughters, including one named Leslie, who attended UC Berkeley, like me. So I carried on listening as Bill--perhaps hoping to gain some conversational traction--started talking about an activity that he and his extended family enjoy: riding e-bikes. "Everyone can keep up!" he exclaimed. "We go all over the place! No one gets left behind! It's great!" Shatner chortled. (It was a true chortle. I always wondered what one would sound like.)

"Not bad," responded host Power.

"'Not bad'?" Shatner burst out, chastising his interlocutor. He checked himself, seeming to consider whether to go on. A brief second and he decided in the affirmative, taking aim with his verbal phaser, though setting it to stun. "'You have to get rid of that," he told his host.  'Not bad' is not good." Power, taken aback, hastened to express more enthusiasm ("that's great!") and Today-I'm-Bill responded with approval: "Now that's better! Now you sound like a positive Canuck!" I could almost hear the top of Tom's head being patted. Good boy.  I patted Jordi, too, completely sympathizing with Bill's frustration at his compatriot, and feeling grateful that our dog is a naturally positive Canuck. 

Jordi, positively well-groomed 


No comments:

Post a Comment