Friday 26 February 2016

Transatlantic Pilates

I loved my Pilates classes in England, and I’ve been happy with the two studios I’ve attended here in Toronto (though obviously less happy with the first; hence the second). The exercises themselves do me good of course but in addition I love the instructional patter, which is practically poetic. ‘Peel your vertebrae up slowly, like a piece of tape from delicate wrapping paper,’ said my current teacher. I knew exactly what she meant even without watching her demonstrate. There’s no shouting or exhorting in a Pilates class. Instead the words seem to hypnotize students into correct movement. Time floats by. The aching comes later.

Most of this instructional imagery crosses the Atlantic perfectly well. But every so often I’m reminded, in the midst of my trance-state, that I’m in Canada. Recently my teacher has been focusing on the upper body and she showed us some arm and shoulder exercises. ‘As if you’re kayaking,’ she said, expecting everyone to know. And everyone did. Later on she showed us a particular full-body stretch with limbs spread widely. ‘As if you’re scaring off a bear,’ she said brightly. Again, everyone understood. No one commented or questioned or said, 'my, um, yes, what an... interesting image.'

How to kayak and how to fend off bear attacks may very well be on the Canadian citizenship test. I shouldn't be surprised. I wonder whether  the exam also includes tightening the obliques and maintaining a neutral pelvis.

No comments:

Post a Comment