Tuesday 20 October 2015

In Which Canada Votes, I Don't, and Justin Trudeau Wins

Like the rest of the country, I can hardly believe it.  Conservative PM Harper's out; Liberal Trudeau, a former teacher, is in. Not at all what the pollsters predicted. Bless.

Canada feels different already.

"I am not the one who made history tonight," says the new prime minister in his victory speech. "You are. You put me here."  Well, not me per se, since, as a non-citizen, I cannot vote.

In fact, Trudeau said it in French first. The man's got all the right words, in English and French. "This is what positive politics can do!" he exclaims. "Kids, Daddy will still be there for you!" he reassures his (currently sleeping) offspring. It's a little like a fairy tale.  

Being a leftie-liberal-hippie-pinko type, I have not been best pleased to find myself living on the side of the border ruled by an evangelical, anti-abortion, tar-sands-exploiting, trickle-down economics guy,  who to top it all off, forbad federal scientists from speaking their own minds.

Those days are history, at least for the moment.

I'm keeping fingers poised to pinch myself come morning. I have had weirder dreams.

May I say 'YIPPEE'?




Refresh in: 36Seats to form majority: 170
PARTY NAMELEADING + ELECTEDELECTED SEATSPOPULAR VOTECHANGE IN SEATS (?)
Liberals18417439.6%42.7%
Conservatives1009232.1%-22.0%
NDP433019.3%-18.1%
Bloc Québécois1084.9%2.4%
Green113.3%-0.3%
Other000.8%-4.5%
88% of polls reporting
From The Globe and Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/federal-election-2015/ridings/


No comments:

Post a Comment