Thursday 23 January 2014

A Thank-You Note

Canadians are famous for being nice. I loved a recent New Yorker cartoon depicting Canadian lemmings at the edge of a cliff: 'After you!' 'No, after you.' Today, I lost my beloved iPhone on a TTC (Toronto Transit Corporation) subway train. It took me some time to notice its absence (love is blind), but within minutes-- seconds, actually-- of knowing that it was gone, I also learned that it was safe. A kind passenger on the train had handed the phone in to the ticket collector at the Lawrence West station, far beyond my home. The ticket collector said to me, 'I've been waiting for you to call!' and assured me he would keep the phone safe until I arrived. I sorted out the kids, headed back to the subway, and half an hour later, phone and I were reunited. Not only that, but the ticket man also handed me a pair of black woolly gloves. Those, I gave back.

I have lost belongings in England, too, and had them returned. But not often, and not usually intact. and never in a big city. So here I offer heartfelt thanks to my fellow Torontonian(s). May your journeys always be smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment