Monday 13 May 2013

Scoring points

Somewhere I used to live-- US? UK? -- has bumper stickers on trucks reading 'How's my driving? Call...' (Must be America.) I could do with a tee-shirt similarly asking for judgement : 'How's my Canadian-ness?' (A sweatshirt would be more appropriate, regardless of the fact that it's MAY. Grrr. See below.)

Scoring:

1) We're buying a house. That's pretty much a commitment. 10 points.

2) The local hockey team, the Maple Leafs, are in the National Hockey League playoffs (which are, confusingly, international, comprising both Canadian and US teams). The format is best-of-seven and the seventh game is tonight. I won't be watching, as I'm chairing a school council meeting. Nul points. Possibly negative points, because my main reaction is irritation that they are called the Maple LEAFS rather than the Maple LEAVES.

3) I am a co-chair of the middle school's parent council. 10 points.

4) I neither have, nor want, a canoe, and have nothing to contribute to discussions of fibreglass versus non-fibreglass construction. Some friends keep theirs strapped, upside down, to the top of the children's climbing frame in the back garden. I thought this was a sweet, creative addition meant to increase the children's climbing pleasure. Not in the least. It's for storage only. Nul points.

5) It SNOWED and HAILED yesterday, in May. On Mother's Day yet. We enjoyed a lovely lunch in a bland strip mall in the small, unremarkable town of Orangeville and then, to the children's dismay, persevered with our plans for a hike in the 'Forks of the Credit' Provincial Park. (Where might we find 'Spoons of the Debit', we wonder.) The dog, who is Canadian, loved it. The rest of us would have been in tears, except we worried they would freeze on our cheeks. 5 points.




So, how's my Canadian-ness? Waiting for your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment