Friday 20 August 2010

hummingbears


Hello, blog. I've abandoned you for quite some time. It's therapeutic having a space to write but it can also feel like a burden. I write when I'm anxious, I realize. That's going to color my output.

At the moment the anxiety centers around my departure tomorrow from the family homestead in Los Angeles. The children and I are flying back to Toronto, our quote-mark 'home', to rejoin husband and cat. The middle child said, in a spurt of positive thinking, that Toronto already feels like home. I meanwhile woke to the BBC World Service news, on a local public radio station, and for a few moments believed I was lying in bed at home (no quotes) in Brighton, listening to Radio 4. I feel simply dislocated.

I sit at my computer, at my parents' dining table, watching hummingbirds flit around the feeders that I put up for them each time I visit, and which my parents allow to run dry when I go. Poor little avians, feast and then famine. I read that there are hummingbirds in Toronto, in the summer, but I haven't yet discovered any. False advertising or insufficient patience?

Hummingbirds in summer. What visits in winter? Polar bears? I fear February.

2 comments:

  1. Come February you should come to Brazil! Actually, go to Brazil. I'll be there by then. Just arrived in Brighton tonight. Will write to you (and check Skype) tomorrow. It's been a very long journey.

    Lots of love to you all,

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay! Thanks. Brazil in February. Sounds perfect. I will start walking now...:)

    ReplyDelete